Wednesday, June 6, 2012

I. Got. A. Job. (the full time variety!)

After searching unsuccessfully for the past three years, I have FINALLY been offered a full time job as a high school history teacher.  Ever since I left Mitchell County, I have been staying busy one way or another, by teaching at Moultrie Tech and VSU, working as a GA at VSU, getting my M.A., and trying to do other graduate degrees.  What I've really wanted to do all along was contribute to my family in a fulfilling way. I have felt so useless for the past three years. Fortunately, caring for Brayden alleviated some of that feeling.  I really think I would have had a hard time working and missing out on most of his first two years.

Anyway, the first thing many people ask me when they learn I got a full time job is, what about the Ph.D.? Well, I still WANT to get one. However, this economy is tough. Many college graduates are unemployed.  A recent report says that employment for Ph.D.s is falling and that the number of Ph.D. grads on food stamps has TRIPLED in the last few years, to the tune of over 33,000 recipients.  I'm pretty sure it isn't those with a Ph.D. in Engineering who are among them.  I just read that article recently after a couple of my unemployed fellow History M.A.s posted a link to it.  That was the moment that I decided to get serious about looking for a job.  I have skills, I have experience, I need a JOB. I have been filing applications for years, probably in the three digit range.  I have had a handful of interviews, none of which worked out.  The one thing I really know how to do is teach history.  Many of the jobs for which I applied were not history teacher positions, and I was applying for jobs making money that I earned at Bud K when I was 20.  I didn't care.  I'm ready to work.

Finally, just last week, I got called for two interviews.  One was at a high school and another was at an engineering firm for a human resources position. Anyway, now I have to make a long story short because Brayden found a very large toy in his closet from Christmas that requires adult assembly, which means I will be busy for the next hour.  Well both places offered me a job - a good problem - but the teaching position paid a lot better and has more opportunities.  I will have to start another blog later! =D

No comments:

Post a Comment