Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Confession: This white girl loves Malcolm X.

Be forewarned - this is not a book review.  I had enough of those in college.

I recently read Manning Marable's book, Malcolm X: A Life of Reinvention, which can be purchased on amazon.com here.  This is a picture of the hardback version.

Malcolm X: A Life of Reinvention

I must say - this book was AMAZING.  Since I graduated in May with a Masters degree in History, I have had a LOT of free time on my hands (when I'm not chasing around my toddler).  I knew I wanted to spend some of that time reading for pleasure, since I haven't been able to do that for the last several years.  Why did I choose to read historical nonfiction rather than trashy romance novels?  I am going to be teaching American History at the college level in the fall and I figured I would beef up my knowledge this summer.  I also just love history (as well I should)!

The Civil Rights Movement is probably my favorite historical period.  It is better than fiction.  I am intrigued by it.  My favorite aspect of this grassroots movement was the bravery and courage necessary for it to occur.  Oftentimes, this movement is remembered by telling the story of the romanticized martyr MLK.  Malcolm X has always been controversial and has definitely taken a backseat to King in the historical memory.  I don't want that to be the case when I teach about this era.

From what I understand, this book was released upon learning that the author, Manning Marable, had a terminal illness.  This book was his life's work.  He had spent some 30 years researching and writing this groundbreaking masterpiece.  Unfortunately, he died just days before the book hit the shelves.  He left behind something very special.

This book reads like a novel.  I couldn't put it down.  The way he follows Malcolm through his life felt like he was right there with Malcolm through it all.  Having written a thesis, I know a little bit of what it is like to research a topic extensively and exhaustively.  I am most impressed with his success in getting Louis Farrakhan to be interviewed as a source for this book.  His thoroughness in researching Malcolm is incredible.  He left no stone unturned.  His eloquence in sharing the story is amazing.  This book was not only about Malcolm but about the Nation of Islam, the group that was an integral part of Malcolm's many transformations in life - the thesis of the book.

There are so many things I love about Malcolm after reading this book, chief among which was his integrity.  This man, unlike many others who profess to believe in something, was no hypocrite.  He really practiced what he preached, unlike his mentor Elijah Muhammed. 

I don't think that enough white people in the south (or anywhere for that matter) understand black history, especially from a personal point of view.  This seems to feed into stereotypes and racism.  Blacks SHOULD be bitter about how their parents, grandparents, and ancestors were treated in the past.  Malcolm X was controversial partly because early on, he declared his antipathy for whites in no uncertain terms.  I have always felt like this was a fair and honest reaction to the things he had seen in his life and this book served as validation for that.

Marable unveils the real story behind Malcolm's death at the age of 39 in this book.  Killed by his former brothers in the NOI, Malcolm was forever silenced by an assassins bullet in front of his wife and children.    Manning has beautifully and intimately cemented Malcolm's legacy in this book which is sure to stand as THE definitive account of Malcolm X for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment