Sunday, June 19, 2011

Snap, Crackle, Pop: Homemade Chicken Tenders

I caught a huge pack of chicken breasts on sale.  I normally pan fry them whole in panko and they turn out delicious but I wanted to make it more kid friendly (since I have three kids).  The result:  homemade chicken tenders that would make you want to slap your mama.  My kids loved them.  They were relatively easy to make but I had enough to feed a small army so it was somewhat time consuming.  In the picture are *most* of the ingredients I used.

*Note: I rarely use exact measurements or times. I use my best judgment.  I apologize in advance.*

In sum, you will need:
  • Chicken breasts or tenders
  • Rice Krispies
  • Eggs
  • Milk
  • Spices (I used salt, pepper, parsley, oregano, garlic powder, paprika, and parmesan cheese)
  • Extra virgin olive oil

I forgot a couple ingredients when I took the picture.  I also put my entire spice rack because I hadn't settled on my spices yet.  I had a whole box of Rice Krispies that I used in lieu of panko, since it would have taken much more than what I had in my cabinet.  Besides, I wasn't going to use the cereal anytime soon because I don't think it is fit for consumption unless you mix it with a bag of melted marshmallows.  [Incidentally, I once wrote a paper on the health food movement of the 20th century.  No discussion of that topic is complete without mentioning John Harvey Kellogg who would probably be rolling over in his grave if he knew I was using a product with his name on it to coat meat.]

The first step is to pound the chicken with a meat tenderizer then cut them into strips or nuggets.

Next, set these aside and prepare the mixture for coating the chicken.  I cracked two eggs into a bowl and then poured a little milk in there.  Whisk that up and it's ready to go.  Then pour some Rice Krispies into a bag and crush them up, if you so choose, and put them in a glass pan (or other similar receptacle).  Add whatever seasonings your little heart desires.  The spices I used are listed in the ingredients.  Again, I didn't measure.


Coat the chicken in the milk/egg concoction then press into the cereal until covered.  Pan fry in your already-heated-to-medium pan of olive oil (I use just enough to cover the bottom).  Flip the tenders when they reach a beautiful golden brown color and feel crispy.


When they finish cooking, place the tenders on a paper towel to drain the excess oil.  The Rice Krispies make these incredibly crispy (as well they should).  If you have a 19 month old, make extra.

No comments:

Post a Comment