Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Ready...Set...Sigh.

I. am. crestfallen.  Brayden went to the dentist last week and we learned that he has to have an outpatient procedure in September.  I realize thtat even mild sedation dentistry is a necessary evil for a toddler, even if it is just to fill a cavity.  Putting my baby to sleep scares me bad enough.  So far, Jacob and Bailey have both been sedated for surgical reasons (the latter multiple times) and it never gets easier.  I HATE seeing them drift off into unconciousness.  I really hate when they wake up and are pissed off for the next two hours. 

Anyway, what's even worse than being put to sleep is what they are having to do to my baby.  It pains me to even think of it.  He has to have all four of his top teeth removed.  Removed.  He has so much decay in them that they can't be saved.  Not real sure what caused it, but he has had the decay from virtually the moment the teeth appeared.  They don't look that great up close, but at least they are there.  At least he can bite.  At least his tongue can touch them when he speaks.  At least he looks normal. 

He also has to have to cavities on the bottom filled and two caps put on up top.  That bothers me too, just because we brush daily and I have never had to have that done myself.  I can only imagine how much pain he will be in when he wakes up and recovers.  Bailey had the same procedure done...almost the exact same thing...when he was 3 or 4 years old.  He had his teeth smashed in at the daycare when he fell on concrete steps.  At least he was a little older.  It still took about three years for the teeth to grow back in (and then he fell at school and chipped half of the front one off. Ugh).

My little boy is so perfect to me.  I dread this September when his cute little teeth are coming out.  I worry about him having to go toothless for four or five more years when his new teeth will come in.  The dentist said that it won't impact his speech development other than a little lisp (that presumably wouldn't exist if he had is teeth, but anyway...).  My baby will have to start school without his front teeth...take his school pictures without his front teeth...learn to eat without his front teeth... I know he will adapt but he won't understand why we are doing that to him at first.

The one bright side is that if he is experiencing any pain from the tooth decay, at least after he recovers all that will be gone.  I just wish it wasn't there to begin with, but it is and I have to come to terms with that.

Whew, this has been bothering me for awhile and I had to get that off my chest.  Over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment